Sunday, August 26, 2007

Day 9











Hello Everyone,


This is Scott writing today. It won't be much longer and we will be home. We sure miss our kids! We had a free day today and we decided to go to Shamian Island. This is the place that our good friend Denene Stewart recommended for us to go if we got the chance. For those of you who don't know her, she went to school with Laurie. Denene and her husband have adopted two children from China and they are wonderful. Their names are Jessica and Katie. Katie is from the Hunan Province just like Brooklyn and Ellen Vorhies are.

Shamian Island is only 5 minutes from where we are staying (we are at the China Hotel in Guanghzou, China) so we got a taxi and went there. They had lots of little shops (Laurie and Brooklyn loved this!) and we were able to get several gifts for our family at very reasonable prices. Laurie was able to bargain several items down quite a bit. We spent about 4 hours total there and we also ate a restaurant called Lucy's Cafe. It had American food so we ordered hamburgers and french fries.

We can't believe how good Brooklyn is doing. I don't mean to brag but she really is. Lots of times today Chinese women would stop and look at Brooklyn and smile. A couple of them reached for her and she would not go to them. She would just hold tight onto Laurie or I (whoever was holding her). A couple of things we have forgot to tell everyone about Brooklyn. She loves it when Laurie gives her a bath and she also loves Pringles Potato Chips. We break them up into little pieces and she really likes them. I think she likes the salty taste. She is really getting Americanized.

She is walking a lot more now but usually around furniture or when Laurie or I are holding her arms. She is eating really well. She is taking formula in the morning and evening (whole bottle) and the last several days has been eating 2 jars of baby food during the day plus eating scraps from our plates and junk food in the room. We are hoping we can put some weight on her soon. That is about all for today. We are probably going to take her swimming for the first time today. We are going to prepare her for Larry and Pam's pool!

Thanks,
Scott
P.S. A big thanks to the Vorhies and Stewart family for being our inspiration to follow through and adopt Brooklyn!!!!!!!!!!! We are very grateful.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The picture of Brooklyn asleep in the stroller is precious.
From the pictures and your stories I can tell she was meant for you. How wonderful that she has adjusted to you so quickly. I can't wait to see her with your kids.

Margaret

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to start the day. It will be a let-down when this is over, but the best is yet to come. The children have been so good. I'm really going to miss them. I'm afraid I'll have to make many trips to Greenwood for a while after all Brooklyn must get to know me.
God couldn't have put her in better hands. I am so thankful and feel so blessed to have her our number 11 grandchild. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I am so excited! She is really precious! And of course she loves french fries and chips--she is a Brown. I still can't stop talking about her and how beautiful and happy she looks----I am still counting down.

Love you

Carla

grandmadoris said...

Had to take all my pictures of the baby to praise band yesterday. Gail Brooks said she had already heard all about it at her school....

Tim called yesterday and said he is anxious to see the baby in October when he comes.

Love Ya,

Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm assuming when you get home you are going to continue the daily blog and pics for us. It is now apart of my daily routine get up drink coffee and check on Brooklyn. HAHA Talked to Chris yesterday looks like Fri Aug 31 is a go on graduation so we are leaving Thurs. Aug 30. I'll come by when we get home. Sunday maybe--whatever works for you. Love Sara

Anonymous said...

dear Mom and Dad,
I think Brooklyn is very very cute!! I really miss you! We are about to go to church so I have to make this quick. 4 more days and you and Brooklyn are finaly home! I hope you have a great day!

love,
Bryce Brown

Anonymous said...

Okay, I am not a cryer. It takes a lot to make me cry. But, your post did it this morning, Scott. I am just so honored to be a friend of the Browns and to be part of this journey with you all. You are very special people and Brooklyn just completes the picture for you all. Enjoy your last few days. If you can make it to Sherry's shop on Shaiman Island, she has ceramic statues of china women that are representative of each province. I got one for Jess and one for Kate and they were only $15. Enjoy the rest of your time. You'll be home fast. Love, Denene

Anonymous said...

Yeah, also crying everyday. It is very exciting and comforting how quickly she is attaching to you. That must feel wonderful.
Yep, what till Brooklyn gets home, she'll NEVER be bored! Does she like chips and salsa??
Can't wait to get together,
Kelly Moore

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I missed your call! I can't believe you were thinking of me, when you guys are on our minds all the time! This experience has touched us all more than you can imagine...thank you for sharing your travels, your family and your Brooklyn with us. Can't wait 'til Thursday night. Love you!!!

Patricia