Friday, August 24, 2007

Day 7













Hello everyone,


Laurie is getting Brooklyn ready right now for a nap so I am going to give the update. First, we really miss our kids! It won't be much longer and we will be hone. Also, a big thanks again to Grandma's Alice and Doris, Darla and Josh for babysitting at home. We love you guys too.

We flew from Changsha this morning and we are now in Guangzhou. We just checked into our hotel. It is really nice. We made the trip to Brooklyn's orhanage in Yiyang, China (which is in the Hunan Province) yesterday. We were gone a total of 5 hours. It was a 90 minute drive to her orhanage. It was an unbelievable experience. We are very glad we went. We got lots of video and camera shots of not only the orphanage, but also her finding place. Her finding place is where she was abandoned. She was abandoned at the Yiyang Civil Affairs Building, which was only about 2 miles from the orhanage.

We rented a Minivan, and Laurie, Brooklyn and I, along with our guide (Mamie) and went to the Orhphange first. Mamie interpreted everything for us and was wonderful. When we first got there we visited the playroom. It was fairly large and clean. It had different toys for different aged kids. There was a total of 5 nannies (from Half the Sky-which is a charity organization-they work with kids one on one individually-and are separate from the orphanages) working with the kids. When we first walked in all of them started shouting Le,Le (meaning Yi Ru Le-Brooklyn's Chinese name)and all of them wanted to touch and hold her. They obviously loved her very much. Brooklyn's reaction was a total surprise to us, and also Mamie. As soon as we walked in and Brooklyn saw where we were, she buried her head in Laurie's chest and cried. She didn't want to go to any nannies at first. When she went to the nanny that was the most excited to see her, she did calm down after about 20 seconds. After about 5 minutes of the nanny holding Brooklyn she reached for Laurie. This obviously made us feel very good. It was apparent though, that all of the Half-The-Sky nannies loved her and worked with her daily. We think this is why she has been able to attach to Laurie like she has.

Next, we went to the small pre-school room on the 2nd floor. The teachers there also knew Brooklyn and were excited to see her. All of the kids in the pre-school came out and greeted us and one girl was taken by Brooklyn's pink shoes. She kept smiling at them and pointing at them. Laurie and I both said we would take every one of these kids home if it were possible. You could tell how excited they became when one of their "own" got adopted. The ages of the kids on this floor were all of pre-school age.

Next, we went to the actual room where Brooklyn spent her first 13 months. We were able to meet and talk with her main care-giver(this was the person that actually fed and cared for her). Her main care-giver was VERY excited to see Brooklyn. She immediately reached for Brooklyn and Brooklyn went to her and did not cry. The care-giver was so proud of Brooklyn. She told us thru Mamie (our guide) many things about Brooklyn. It was like a proud mom! She told us how Brooklyn likes to chew on her blanket (we have posted many pictures of Brooklyn chewing on her bib), likes to play with her care-givers cell phone, and liked to put on her care-givers reading glasses. She also told us that Brooklyn is very limber and very smart (we agree!). Her care-giver held Brooklyn for about 10 minutes and when it was time to go, Brooklyn went immediately to Laurie's arms and did not cry. It made us feel good in many ways. Because she went to Laurie right away, and because her main care-giver loved her so much.

We then went to the orphanage directors office and talked with him. He was very nice and told us some things about the orphanage. They currently have 70 kids, and about half of them are special needs. He said they have placed well over 1,000 kids into adoptive families homes. We got to take our pictures with him also. We were surprised at how we had access to the orphanage like we did.

Next, we went to Brooklyn's finding place. We got pictures at the exact spot where she was abandoned. It was just outside the Civil Affairs Building. Her birth mother knew she would be found at this spot and would be safe. Laurie and I are thankful her birth mother did this. We are sure it was very hard on her.

I am sorry this was so long. It was a wonderful day and Brooklyn is getting more attached to us by the minute!

Thanks,
Scott and Laurie

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your day at the orphanage must have been very emotional. I'm so glad you went. It is wonderful to see where Brooklyn lived her first 13 months of her life. And how wonderful that she has bonded with you both so soon. It's also very comforting knowing she was loved so much by her nannies.Well it's less than a week now, and we are so ready to meet her. Keep up the good work, parents. God has given you precious cargo. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

When I'm done crying I'll write more.
I'm so happy for you.
Love Sara

Anonymous said...

I don't think I can say how happy I am for you! I love you and can't wait to meet my neice!
Love
Carla

Anonymous said...

I'm crying with Sara. You are doing such a wonderful thing for your daughter.
Beth

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to stop reading this blog at work. People are going to start thinking I have some major issues with all these tears. It is just so touching. How hard it must have been for brooklyn's parents and all the other parents who give their girls up and how wonderful it is that you have her now. Be careful, be safe and we will see you next week.

Love Tam

Anonymous said...

Everything you have posted tells me that Brooklyn will be a well-adjusted child. Every single thing Scott posted this morning is everything you want to hear in adoption. The way she reacted at her orphanage, the way they reacted to her, her environment are all signs that she was well cared for and knows now who her parents are and that she is yours in her heart. Knowing what I know after doing this twice, Brooklyn is going to be a well-attached bundle of joy for you. I'm so happy for you guys. I couldn't wait to get to my computer this morning. I can't wait to see you guys and share your experience. Love, Denene

Anonymous said...

I'm saying a prayer for all the birth mothers in China. I want them to know their birth daughters are the most precious gifts. I pray they find comfort knowing our daughters are loved so much.
Love Sara

Anonymous said...

Scott - thanks for giving us all the info today, and the great pictures, I can't wait to get up in the mornings and check out Journey to Brooklyn! I'm so glad to hear she is so attached to Laurie (and you) already. Sounds like everything is going better than you could have imagined! So happy for all of you!

Diane

Anonymous said...

Again, God is SO GOOD! It is just amazing seeing (through you guys) how all of this works. Thanks so much for sharing this special time with all of us. Brooklyn is truly a special girl. God knew the Brown family would adopt her into their family and love her forever, and for that I am so thankful. I love you all!!!

Blessings,
Alicia

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Yes I too am in tears! WOW, what an experience. I believe Brooklyn already knows how lucky she is. SHE'S STAYIN' with her mom and dad!
Come home safely to all your friends who love you.
Kelly Moore

Anonymous said...

Brandon, you must be so proud to be Brooklyn's big brother.

-Colleen

J Ray said...

Brooklyn has no idea how lucky she is to be part of the Brown family. There is not a better family to love and nurture her.

Hey Scott and Laurie, I appreciate the privilege you are sharing with us watching this experience unfold. I'm with the others, I can't wait to see the next posting and I need kleenex before I look. THANK YOU.

We can't wait to see you guys.

Julie

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Scott and Laurie - This blog has become such an obsession for so many! We are all so blessed to not only have you in our lives, but now we're all able to include Brooklyn. I'm pretty sure most of Center Grove feels like they're getting a new daughter too ! ! Thanks for the JOURNEY.

Kim

Anonymous said...

Scott I was reading your comments today (for the umpteenth time) and still had tears in my eyes! I am so proud of you both and so happy Brooklyn is with our family! I can't wait to see you next week! I don't think I can stand the wait! Matthew and Dani are coming with me, they are so excited about their new cousin!
Love,
Carla

grandmadoris said...

Just trying to see if this blog goes thru, my other one didn't

grandmadoris said...

O.K. I see it did go thru this time. It seems everyone in center grove knows about the baby. I am waiting to see in on the (National News...)..

Brittany is going to church with me Sunday and spend the week here. Give Alice a little break... It is still so hot here, but by the time you come home should be much better.

Love Ya,

Mom

JMCS said...

Thank you for taking the time to write about the trip to Brooklyn's orphanage. It is wonderful to hear how well taken care of she was while she was there and I know it must do your hearts good. :)

I am so thrilled that she is finally with her forever family.

Hugs,
Jonni